Began with the Horizontal Stabilizer (HS). Prepared some Stock (edge deburring, flange straightening) and created two sets of cradles for holding the both HS halfes alligned.
Page 8-1 to Page 8-5 Started again with prepairing the edges, lightning holes and the powder coated HS-912 hinge bracket. Fabricated the HS-1008L+R left and right front spar attachment brackets, which are very critical regarding the hole spacing. As I had a dent in the VS skin I now agressivly rounded out the nose ribs and had no dents to the outside of the skin this time. Like in the plans I created the jigs for the horizontal stab skin to hold them upright positioned.
Nach dem Entgraten aller Teile des Höhenleitwerks folgt das Bohren der Löcher auf Maß. Jedes Bauteil erhält dadurch seine zugeordnete Position. Anschließend wird nach dem setzen der Bohrungen jedes Bauteil hierfür nummeriert! Dann wird die Baugruppe zerlegt um alle Bohrungen von beiden Seiten zu entgraten.
Some photos of the horizontal stabilizer preparation and riveting process
Preparing the rear spar, deburring, straightening, final drill and match drilled some parts. Parallel to the deburring I took the training projekt (Vans Tool Box and the flap training kit). My friends Frank Goehner and Ernst-Otto Rehm are very helpful giving me hands to help at some difficult to reach places and by having fun with the build process. I´m glad to have them as friends – not only for some help :o)
Deburred all the skeleton parts of the vertical stabilizer, straightened the VS-1008 rear spar doubler, clecoed all parts together and final drilled all #30 holes. Peeled of the blue tape from the skins inside and on the outside only there, where to work on the prepunched holes with a straight edge and a soldering iron. Clecoed the skin to the skeleton and final drilled all the holes common to the skin, exept the holes for the HS and VS fairings. HS = Horizontal stabilizer, VS = Vertical stabilizer
19.01 – 24.01.2017 = 14,5h
Parts priming, Assembling the VS skeleton
Cleaned all VS Parts, assembled and riveted them together. I checked every manufatured rivet head for correct size with the rivet head control tool. To be able to run some wires through the vertical stabilizer for later use (i.e. Nav Antenna or similar), I glued a PVC-Pipe inside the VS Skin with a PU glue from Würth „Klebt+Dichtet“.
18.02.2017 – 22.02.2017 = 12h
2017-02 Riveting the Vertical Stabilizer Skin to the skeleton with the Pneumatic Squeezer.
Before closing the VS Skin my building mentor Christian Tank came along and checked everything to be properly riveted and assembled and said: „Du baust sehr genau“ (You´re building very accurate)….what made me a little bit proud of myself 🙂 You also may want to see the Video down on the bottom of this page…