Began with the Horizontal Stabilizer (HS). Prepared some Stock (edge deburring, flange straightening) and created two sets of cradles for holding the both HS halfes alligned.
Page 8-1 to Page 8-5 Started again with prepairing the edges, lightning holes and the powder coated HS-912 hinge bracket. Fabricated the HS-1008L+R left and right front spar attachment brackets, which are very critical regarding the hole spacing. As I had a dent in the VS skin I now agressivly rounded out the nose ribs and had no dents to the outside of the skin this time. Like in the plans I created the jigs for the horizontal stab skin to hold them upright positioned.
Nach dem Entgraten aller Teile des Höhenleitwerks folgt das Bohren der Löcher auf Maß. Jedes Bauteil erhält dadurch seine zugeordnete Position. Anschließend wird nach dem setzen der Bohrungen jedes Bauteil hierfür nummeriert! Dann wird die Baugruppe zerlegt um alle Bohrungen von beiden Seiten zu entgraten.
25.02.17 – 02.03.17 5h
Some photos of the horizontal stabilizer preparation and riveting process
I copied a method somebody showed on the Matronics List in the RV-10 tread. As I read in the Sky View installation manuel, you have to be sure to mount the ADAHRS somewhere as far away as possible from iron metal parts. Otherwise the internal compass in the ADAHRS could show wrong directions… Now that I know that Van´s provide a ADAHRS-Bracket, I will order this vs. the DIY version. Much less work for me…
Prepared the parts for the elevator. Deburred all edges and holes. Clecoed all the sceleton parts together. Working on both right and left elevators. Frank is cutting the foam ribs for the trim rudder.
Sometimes I add a video, which I also post to Facebook or YouTube. Just for aviation interested people, who are following my project.
In this section you will see my self made (DIY) dimple frame DRDT-2 in his final version which I finally will use the whole building process. I am proud, that my version is functioning so far. Looking forward to use it for many times which will safe me a lot of hours!
Section 7-2 to 7-6 Preparing all the Rudder parts
Before putting them together, you have to prepare all the parts to fit together, so all edges has to be deburred, some parts have to be cut to almost smaler parts like the R-1010 Rudder ribs. This is taking a lot of time and sometimes a boring thing to do, but it is an essential work, because with this it is possible to ensure a long lasting airframe over many years of flying.
Section 7-7 to 7-12 Riveting the Vertical Stabilizer, Rolling the leading edge, trailing edge finish
Now the exiting process of assembling all the prepared parts of the vertical stabilizer begins. When I clean the parts for priming, it is essential to mark the preped parts in the exact same way they were marked before!! At the top vs-rib I had a slight missalignment an had to fix this with drilling some new holes in the R-1008A and R-1008B top ribs. The whole process of riveting all the VS parts together turned out to be very exiting. The most exiting thing here was to bend the leading edge in a correct manner to not screw this up an make some niks in the skins while bending them.
Rudder metal work is finished. Some work to do on the upper and lower fairings on the rudder. Will return later on. 13.05.2017
Preparing the rear spar, deburring, straightening, final drill and match drilled some parts. Parallel to the deburring I took the training projekt (Vans Tool Box and the flap training kit). My friends Frank Goehner and Ernst-Otto Rehm are very helpful giving me hands to help at some difficult to reach places and by having fun with the build process. I´m glad to have them as friends – not only for some help :o)
Deburred all the skeleton parts of the vertical stabilizer, straightened the VS-1008 rear spar doubler, clecoed all parts together and final drilled all #30 holes. Peeled of the blue tape from the skins inside and on the outside only there, where to work on the prepunched holes with a straight edge and a soldering iron. Clecoed the skin to the skeleton and final drilled all the holes common to the skin, exept the holes for the HS and VS fairings. HS = Horizontal stabilizer, VS = Vertical stabilizer
19.01 – 24.01.2017 = 14,5h
Parts priming, Assembling the VS skeleton
Cleaned all VS Parts, assembled and riveted them together. I checked every manufatured rivet head for correct size with the rivet head control tool. To be able to run some wires through the vertical stabilizer for later use (i.e. Nav Antenna or similar), I glued a PVC-Pipe inside the VS Skin with a PU glue from Würth „Klebt+Dichtet“.
18.02.2017 – 22.02.2017 = 12h
2017-02 Riveting the Vertical Stabilizer Skin to the skeleton with the Pneumatic Squeezer.
Before closing the VS Skin my building mentor Christian Tank came along and checked everything to be properly riveted and assembled and said: „Du baust sehr genau“ (You´re building very accurate)….what made me a little bit proud of myself 🙂 You also may want to see the Video down on the bottom of this page…
My building mentor: Christian Tank
Christian Tank is the CEO in the company, he took over from his father Wilhelm Tank. His company: Wilhelm Tank GmbH & Co Mariensiel KG Flugplatz 1 26452 Sande
VIDEO: How Frank and me do the riveting process together on the vertical stabilizer
Begin the riveting process my friend Frank Goehner was very helpful and we managed the riveting process really good together.
The Delivery of the empennage kit goes easy with the fork lift. My son Timo Aringer is wondering: „what the hell is my father doing here….“
Inventoring all the parts took about 6 hours! I will try a method to find the parts later on by sorting them by their part numbers. The fist letter of the parts describes the kit position – so I thought this would be a good thing sorting them together (VS, HS, F, FL, E, etc.) Turns out to be a good method so far.
Next step: preparing some parts for the first start