In this section you will see my self made (DIY) dimple frame DRDT-2 in his final version which I finally will use the whole building process. I am proud, that my version is functioning so far. Looking forward to use it for many times which will safe me a lot of hours!
Before putting them together, you have to prepare all the parts to fit together, so all edges has to be deburred, some parts have to be cut to almost smaler parts like the R-1010 Rudder ribs. This is taking a lot of time and sometimes a boring thing to do, but it is an essential work, because with this it is possible to ensure a long lasting airframe over many years of flying.
Page 7-7 to 7-12 Riveting the Vertical Stabilizer, Rolling the leading edge, trailing edge finish
Now the exiting process of assembling all the prepared parts of the vertical stabilizer begins. When I clean the parts for priming, it is essential to mark the preped parts in the exact same way they were marked before!! At the top vs-rib I had a slight missalignment an had to fix this with drilling some new holes in the R-1008A and R-1008B top ribs. The whole process of riveting all the VS parts together turned out to be very exiting. The most exiting thing here was to bend the leading edge in a correct manner to not screw this up an make some niks in the skins while bending them.
Rudder metal work is finished. Some work to do on the upper and lower fairings on the rudder. Will return later on. 13.05.2017
Preparing the rear spar, deburring, straightening, final drill and match drilled some parts. Parallel to the deburring I took the training projekt (Vans Tool Box and the flap training kit). My friends Frank Goehner and Ernst-Otto Rehm are very helpful giving me hands to help at some difficult to reach places and by having fun with the build process. I´m glad to have them as friends – not only for some help :o)
Deburred all the skeleton parts of the vertical stabilizer, straightened the VS-1008 rear spar doubler, clecoed all parts together and final drilled all #30 holes. Peeled of the blue tape from the skins inside and on the outside only there, where to work on the prepunched holes with a straight edge and a soldering iron. Clecoed the skin to the skeleton and final drilled all the holes common to the skin, exept the holes for the HS and VS fairings. HS = Horizontal stabilizer, VS = Vertical stabilizer
19.01 – 24.01.2017 = 14,5h
Parts priming, Assembling the VS skeleton
Cleaned all VS Parts, assembled and riveted them together. I checked every manufatured rivet head for correct size with the rivet head control tool. To be able to run some wires through the vertical stabilizer for later use (i.e. Nav Antenna or similar), I glued a PVC-Pipe inside the VS Skin with a PU glue from Würth „Klebt+Dichtet“.
18.02.2017 – 22.02.2017 = 12h
2017-02 Riveting the Vertical Stabilizer Skin to the skeleton with the Pneumatic Squeezer.
Before closing the VS Skin my building mentor Christian Tank came along and checked everything to be properly riveted and assembled and said: „Du baust sehr genau“ (You´re building very accurate)….what made me a little bit proud of myself 🙂 You also may want to see the Video down on the bottom of this page…